Update - Portland City Council Shelves Non-Emergency Perfume Ban Until Next Meeting...Tell Us this no Laughing Matter

It seems the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)  actually governs these smelly issues
So a bit of an update from the post I did this week on Portland banning perfume and personal care scents.

So as far as I can tell, item #168 on the Portland City Agenda to Establish a City policy discouraging employee use of personal scented products in the workplace has been seriously (Council Members reminded us that this is not a laughing matter) discussed, agreed upon and shelved until the next meeting for a vote of approval.  Hayden-Jay (my most fabulous 5 year old) and I were in the middle of an intense workout (she was showing me her new moves) when I heard the item called for discussion. 

When I finally got to my computer to watch and listen to the meeting live, a city employee who has a disability which is aggravated by strong scents was testifying.  Some of the discussion focused on how the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) governs these issues and that the city, if a policy is not enacted, could be leaving itself  vulnerable to legal action.

Commissioner Nick Fish was very intent on making sure that  everyone knew that this was not a joke and that the woman testifying before the Commission was "not a whiner or weak".  Fish  said that he, "knew her personally" and she was not a trouble maker.  I guess things have been a bit strained around City Hall for this woman?  He mentioned that "in the face of ridicule" she was giving her testimony.  

When I called the Portland City Hall, I was told that the Ordinance was considered a Non-Emergency and it passed on to the 2nd Reading next week.  This is a done deal.

P.S.- I am really glad that you stopped by our Environmental Booty Blog and I hope you have learned or shared a thing or two.  I hope that , now that you've found us,  you won't lose us!  You can join our green living online community, subscribe to our posts download our community toolbar or Tweet with me on Twitter to stay in touch!  - Shane :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead